Okay, so I have just a few irons already in the fire:
15mm 8th Army
15mm Spanish Civil War Carlistas
28mm Empire of the Dead
6mm OGRE miniatures
28mm Very British Civil War Free Welsh
28mm Very British Civil War BUFs
28mm Warhammer Empire
28mm Warhammer Lizardmen (also VSF Lizardmen)
28mm French for VSF
X-Wing (Just a few more, plus some of the bigger stuff)
15mm Renaissance (very stalled project, bordering on dead)
Buildings/terrain for all five scales and times.
That's just what I can think of off the top of my head. So it's a given that I don't really need anymore, okay?
But I am really getting interested in some 15mm science fiction skirmish to company-level gaming. So many awesome figures already out there, and Eli Arndt's Loud Ninja Games putting more awesome alien stuff out... I feel like a junkie - I just need one more fix, man!
So, I want to do this at a reasonable level to start. I have some rules to get me going already, nice and generic so I can use any figures I want.
I am thinking stand-based company-level to begin. A full company of infantry for each side, plus a few vehicles (assigned as individual vehicles). Maybe a couple of APCs for each side, one heavier ground vehicle, and some kind of air support. Here's my outline for a human force, just over 100 figures total, not including vehicles.
Company Command and Weapons Platoon (25+ recon)
- Commander (1 stand, 3 figs)
- Mortar Squad (2 stands, 2 figs +mortar)
- FO teams (2 stand, 2 figs)
- Recon team (this depends on what I buy. Probably either a drone controller stand with a couple of drones or two bike-types)
- HMG (or equivalent) Squad (2 stands, 2 figs +gun)
- Anti-armour Team (1 stand, 2 figs - probably some sort of rocket)
- Security squad (2 infantry bases, 4 figs each)
3x Infantry Platoon (27 figs/platoon)
- Platoon Leader (1 stand, 3 figs)
- 3x Infantry Squad (2 infantry bases/squad, 4 figs each)
*Infantry bases are in pairs, one pair to a squad. One of the pair has an NCO and three riflemen, one of the pair has the squad support weapon, assistant, and two riflemen.
Heavy artillery not on the board. Any command team or FO can call for it either from orbit or heavy artillery. If I ever bought heavy artillery (not mortars), they would be more as objective markers than combat pieces.
As far as options to fill this force, I am considering all of the following:
- GZG New Swabian League - I like the new sculpts a lot, and the fan bikes would make perfect recon units. Plus, I might add a squad of combat walkers.
- GZG New Anglian Confederation - again, good power armour. And I like the Gurkhas and Marines in berets.
- GZG Colonial Defense Forces - I like the cavalry as recon units.
- Khurasan Terran Federal Army - I could add in the K9 team.
- Khurasan Control Battalion - I like the heavy armor look. Maybe just a platoon for assault troops or in vacuum?
I like the infantry from several other companies as well (Rebel Minis, Clear Horizon, HOF, Laserburn, Ion Age...), but they don't have any mortars, and I really want mortars as an integral part of the company structure. I would consider them for skirmishing, where all you would have would be direct fire weapons - all indirect would be off board, even the light stuff.
Am I insane?