Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Victory at Last!

   Last Wednesday I went up to the north side of town - that's a 90 minute drive if you're not familiar with Houston's size and traffic - to play a game of Team Yankee with my newly painted Soviet T-64 Battalion. I still had to borrow a few bits, but my T-64s and my infantry were on the battlefield for the first time! My friend Jim ran his East Germans alongside me, a BTR-60 Panzergrenadier company with T-55s in support.

   And we won! The Warsaw Pact forces held the objective strongly with a weakened  American Marine infantry force trying to take it away. This was unlikely to succeed in the face of an overwhelming number of East German and Soviet infantry stands, already dug in, and with supporting fire power from their BMP and BTR transports. We called the game for time, at a 4-3 victory for the Soviets (we had lost three platoons of tanks and one of ZSU-23-4 Shilkas).


Starting positions for WarPac forces

Using Spearhead special ability, the East Germans deploy into woods overlooking the objective. In turn one, they will move to cover it. Unfortunately, in their hurry to the front, they forgot their shovels and it wasn't until turn four that they finally dug in.

T-64s advance into contact. Cowardly American Dragon missiles are hiding behind the hedgeline there. They would survive the battle, the T-64s did not.

With two of their tanks burning, and one bailed out, the remaining T-64 abandons the battlefield. His bailed out comrade joins him in cowardly flight. Subordination by Yankee agents is suspected. The battalion political officer will be having a short discussion with those tank commanders, and a demonstration of Morale Rule Makarov.

Lots of WarPac parked on the objective. My BMP-2s have not dismounted their infantry yet.


   Before fleeing, my T-64s did manage to take an upgraded Abrams tanks out of the game. It should have been all three, but... my dice did what my dice do, and that is fail me miserably when shooting, and our opponent, Bryce, made a lucky Morale save when I had his second tank bailed out. The second platoon died to a tank, earning a (posthumous) Hero of the Soviet Union for the platoon commander.

No comments: