- Republic of Texas: The historical Republic of Texas, independent of the United States and extended across northern Mexico to the Pacific.
- Kingdom of Hawaii: Essentially a British client, yet still independent. A firm fixture in the British Hegemony.
- Elistonia: A minor Central European nation. A bit old-fashioned, too.
- Papal States: Historically, they were absorbed into Italy in the late 1800s.
- Republic of Venice: Much like the Papal States, Venice has managed to maintain a measure of independence.
- Confederated Italian States (CIS): As the name implies, the various states of Italy formed a confederation rather than becoming truly unified. The politics of this nation are... vigorous.
- Empire of Mexico: Propped up by the French, Mexico's Emperor Maximillian I is trying to develop a regional power out of his impoverished nation.
- Fenian Republic: The Emerald Isle has managed to break the shackles of English dominance, assisted by a variety of clandestine technology transfers, British distractions in the aether, and a good dash of luck.
- Laputa: A floating (in the sky!) island, an enigmatic mystery, and a source of deadly peril.
There are also some non-terrestrial nations, on Mars. The most important of these is the Empire of Galfor, which opposes pretty much everything the British do on Mars.