Thursday, September 23, 2010

Declare thyself: For King or Parliament?

  Well, they came in today, finally! I received a lovely package from the guy in the brown shorts, containing two books: the core rules and the Wars of Religion companion. I've been looking forwad to these rules for a good bit, ever since I learned they were being made back in the Spring. The local gang I play with has been going through FOG Boot Camp for Ancients and Medievals for about six months, and we like the rules.

  While at Historicon this past year, I played a single ECW game, and though I really like the miniatures and such, the rules they used were not fun to me. They may have been an accurate model of battle in the era, but dull ain't in it. I mean, you basically could not remove any enemy troops, even when you catch fleeing troops from behind with cavalry! They just got to run further, and you had to follow them, until one or both of your units ran off the table/battlefield. Yawn!

  So now I only have to decide which army I want to get, and how I am going to pay for it! I am torn between the Swedes of Gustavus Adolphus and the German Catholic armies commanded by Tilly, et al. The Scots Covenanters look interesting as well, but I think my friend Gerald will have them covered. Another friend, Zach, is considering the Late Imperial Spanish, and the last hurrah of the tercios. No idea what the other fellows are contemplating, if anything. Cavaliers? Roundheads? Egads, the French?

1 comment:

Eli Arndt said...

I love this period but am loath to try to get into it for fear of not finding anyone to play it with. I have considered getting some in 28mm and finding a skirmish level outlet.

-Eli