Friday, July 23, 2010

Madness! Madness, I say!

   Really, I am getting too scattered. Far, far too scattered. Let's take a look, shall we, at just the minis by genre, scale and number of forces:
  • VSF/Colonial, 25mm: British, German, Texicans, Turks, Japanese, Lizardmen, Automatons, Vardu, Martians, plus Skyrunners Racing Game
  • VSF/Colonial 15mm: British, German, Texicans, Lizardmen (carryover!), Automatons (carryover, mainly), Martians, Vardu (some carryover), Zulu
  • VSF/Colonial, 6mm: Martians, Germans, British, Lizardmen
  • VSF, 2mm: Confederation of Italian States, British, German, Martian (Aeronef, SGoM, etc.)
  • Fantasy, 25mm: Lizardmen, Empire (WFB)
  • Post-Apocalypse, 20mm: Car Wars, Matchbox scale
  • Sci-Fi, 6mm: Battletech, OGRE
  • plus terrain for all of theabove, of course...
   And then there's the RPG projects with the boys, which we bounce around between. I am hoping to get a more coherent RPG schedule when my good friend Jim gets home in a few months after two years of active service in the Reserves.

   Oh, and I am considering adding 15mm Sci-fi to the mix. Just too many cool toys out there in 15mm. Any suggestions on rules for them? I am considering Future War Commander (I think that is the name of the rules). I want a sort of feel where most troops are like the Colonial Marines from Aliens, but there are armored troopers as well, like the real MI from the novel Starship Troopers. Plus tanks, flyers, etc.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

5150 has some fairly MIish armour alongside colonial marines, xenomorphs, and other fun things. It's more skirmishy than FWC, though.

I haven't played it, but you might want to look into Alien Squad Leader (which, despite the name, has nothing to do with Advanced Squad Leader and isn't a skirmish game). I think it can do MI suits, and it can definitely do lower tech humans, flyers, tanks and so on.

J Womack, Esq. said...

I have heard of Alien Squad Leader, but never played it, or even seen it played. Most of the gents at my local gaming club are strictly into historicals. Which is fine, but the ones who are interested in sci-fi (mainly my kids) are not buying new rules sets and playing them without me, so my exposure is somewhat limited. The last sci-fi game we played was AT-43 (still have the box set), and we only played that once or twice.

Anonymous said...

Hm, AT-43's a fairly small game in terms of units, I think. 5150 might be good, then. Two Hour Wargames have a free set of rules called Chain Reaction which covers simple infantry (gangs, police, military & insurgents) using the same basic system as 5150, although the full game adds in a lot more - vehicles, fancy high-tech gear, more detailed combat, campaigns, a lot of weird aliens...

If you're at all interested, have a look here and download Chain Reaction 3e. That page also has a free 5150 supplement, but it's not the best one they've ever put out. Chain Reaction looks a bit weird, but works great once you play it.

(my local club does historicals, I don't play nearly enough SF/F and far too much FoG... although I'm playing more Peter Pig lately, far more fun than that FoG nonsense)

J Womack, Esq. said...

We've been holding what we call FoG Boot Camp at our club. I like it, but the kids don't, and there is no point in my purchasing much in the way of Ancients armies - there are already a good score of them avaialable via other guys in the club, pretty much whatever you might want to play. I might - might, I stress - eventually do a Viking army or a Dark Ages Britons or Welsh or Irish or something odd like that.