Monday, June 29, 2015

Top Ten Gaming Foods

TOP
TEN
GAMING FOODS

   It has been quite a while since I wrote up a Top Ten list, and right now I have two of them banging around in my head. At least one of them is totally gaming related - food! The question I thought about was what are the best foods to have handy to eat while wargaming? There is only a little bit of rhyme or reason to these rankings, so if you disagree, well... I'd like to hear about it in the Comments. So, without further ado...

10. Cheeseburger



   Cheeseburgers are yummy. But require two hands and a lot of napkin action before handling minis. For this reason, they are fairly low on the list. They make the list for ubiquity and general goodness. No chili burgers, though. Too messy - likely to drip on terrain, get grease on figures, etc.


9. Trail/Snack Mix



   I dunno, I just like the stuff. Even though I agree that a handful of trail mix that lacks an M&M in it is a disappointment. Snack mixes like Chex Mix or Gardetto's would fall in this category as well.


8. Chicken Fingers


   Another commonly available food, these yummy crunchy meaty snacks are much less messy than cheeseburgers. Good stuff, properly done. I like Raising Cane's. Popeye's spicy ones are tasty too.


7. French Fries (Chips)



   Another finger food. Less messy than chicken fingers, even with ketchup dipping. Chili-cheese fries, while delicious, are not included because of the massive mess. Ditto poutine.


6. Corndogs



   I know a lot of people don't like corndogs, but those people are wrong. A properly made corndog is delicious. With mustard. If you put ketchup on your corndog, I place you in the same company as Philistines who speak in the theater or find sheep attractive. Plus, it comes on a stick, which helps keep the hands clean for gaming.


5. Toasted Coconut Donuts



   I like all donuts (or doughnuts, if you prefer). Well, not all, but many of them. My absolute favorites are the Toasted Coconut from Dunkin Donuts. So, if I'm gaming in the AM, I am probably hoping to have a bag with a couple of these in them close by. With some coffee.


4. Hall Pig

   A venerable delicacy obtained from a carving station at the Lancaster Host in Lancaster, PA. Harvested 'back in the day' at Historicon. I have not attended any of the other conventions held in the Host, so I have no idea if it has been available at them.


3. Pizza



   Even though it can be messy, it's available on delivery pretty much anywhere in the civilized world. Or at least in the US. I've honestly never had a pizza delivered in any other country, though I know you can get them in London - adverts in the hotel room. We usually settle on pepperoni, though it's not my favorite, because almost everyone will eat it. My favorite? Probably either a meatball formaggio or margherita with prosciutto. Preferably thin crust.


2. Walker's Crisps (Potato Chips)



   Only had these once while gaming, but I like to have potato chips handy. These just happen to be some of my favorites. Especially the Roast Chicken. And the Smokey Bacon. Prawn Cocktail isn't bad. And Cheese and Onion - those are good.


1. BEER



   Yes, yes, I know. Beer isn't technically 'food.' Unless you're a college student or a medieval monk. Don't care. When in Pennsylvania, I am especially partial to Yuengling Lager, which is not available back home in Texas. At the house, I vary the program. Bocks, hefeweissens, lagers, ales...

4 comments:

PatG said...

Pizza tends to be the go to food for most gaming though it really requires as pause in the action so you don't get oil and sauce all over the table and miniatures.

Any form of barley or grape sandwich is always good to have at table especially when the dice gods are against you.

However, I would put Walker's at number one and not just at the gaming table. For those not in the know i.e. most of North America, Walkers are the bollocks (effin' awesome). Unlike flavourings on this continent which may have some vague resemblance of a reference to what is claimed on the bag, Walker's roast chicken tastes like roast chicken - same for the rest (salt and malt are to die for) and they come in interesting flavours like: pickled onion, worcester sauce and paprika.

Chuckaroobob said...

When its doughnuts its got to be Krispy Kreme! The only choice for people with taste buds.

Don M said...

I'm a Dunkin Doughnuts fan but that reflects my New York heritage,
bur, here in Texas they are harder to get.....As for finger food
Chicken nuggets or fried Ship!

J Womack, Esq. said...

Krispy Kreme glazed, when hot, are the Perfect Donut. Their quality diminishes with their temperature.

I live south of Houston. Until about six months ago, the closest Dunkin Donuts was inside Hobby Airport. They recently opened one in League City, only a few miles from the house. And there was great rejoicing.

And Walker's are the best crisps.